Cardiovascular disease is one of the most common causes of death worldwide. For the most part, cardiovascular disease is preventable. It depends slowly over time due to lifestyle, chronic stress and environmental factors. Although prevention of heart disease is the primary goal of natural herbal medicine, there are many Ayurvedic therapies that are very effective in the treatment of disease as well.
Treating Cardiovascular Disease -
The treatment strategy that is required depends on the current health risk and the severity of the disease process. In high risk or progressive states medication may be required. The general Ayurvedic treatment strategy is as follows:
1. Determine the degree of health risk and stage of disease.
2. Addressing the lifestyle factors such as diet, movement, water intake; stress and environmental factors needs to be part of every treatment strategy - whether one chooses natural herbal treatments or conventional treatments.
3. Herbal & other natural treatments are used to:
- effectively lower cholesterol or high blood pressure
- address atherosclerosis or other vascular disorders
- address the mental-emotional impact of stress on cardiovascular health
- balance out and address the side-effects of many cardiovascular medications, such as those taken for hypertension or high cholesterol.
The advantages of the Natural Ayurvedic approach to heart disease is that it focuses on treating the causes of disease, it recognizes that integration of a person's lifestyle and the environment with their health status and it utilizes effective therapies without many of the side-effects of prescription medications.
Common heart health conditions helped by Natural Herbal medicine:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol
- High triglycerides
- Metabolic Syndrome / Insulin Resistance / Pre-Diabetes
- Heart arrhythmias, palpitations
- Peripheral arterial disease, venous insufficiency
We can work with your cardiologist and other healthcare practitioners to provide a comprehensive plan for your heart health. Even if you are currently on medication, we can help. Especially in situations of documented, serious heart disease, we require co-management with a cardiologist or other health care provider.